Saturday, January 12, 2013

1871

Every day in 1871 Warren G. Sabin wrote in a pocket journal what he did. The handwriting is small and dense, sometimes blurred after 142 years of smudges and shuffling of pages. Today, I begin the arduous process of deciphering and transcribing.

I've known about this journal for several years, ever since uncovering it in a box of family documents in my great aunt's house. I've been meaning to tackle this project for some time, but there was always something else to do instead. I decided today that it wouldn't get done unless I just made it a goal.

So this morning I'm scanning each page at 1200dpi. After that, I'll begin going through page by page, day by day, transcribing my great-great-great grandfather's tight scribbles and learning more about a year in his life.

In 1871 Warren Sabin was living in Toledo Township, Tama County, Iowa. He turned 35 in 1871. He wasn't married yet. He lived near his older brother, Jerome. Beyond that I don't know much about his life at that time. That's why his journal is so invaluable.

Hopefully soon I'll be updating this blog with interesting revelations and fun facts about his life. Either that, or I'll vent about the frustrations of reading 19th Century handwriting.

And so it begins...

No comments:

Post a Comment