Tuesday, April 30, 2013

This week in research

I've been a regular visitor to the Tama County Historical Society lately. I'm fully back in the swing of things! My current project is scouring the archives of the Toledo Chronicle and documenting every time my family his mentioned. So far I've gone through every issue of the paper 1918-1923. It can be tedious, but it's also worthwhile when I find little nuggets that give a glimpse at the life of my forefathers (and mothers).

There was also another paper published in Toledo at that time, the Tama County Democrat. I haven't looked into it much yet, but I did scan a few issues over the weekend. Among the interesting tidbits uncovered was this 60th anniversary announcement for my great-great-great-great grandparents, William Wilson and Sarah Elizabeth (Jester) Jackson:

The Tama County Democrat Oct. 27, 1910, p. 4
Sixty years ago today, October 27, 1850, Wm. W. Jackson and Sarah Jester were united in marriage in Des Moines county, Iowa. They now occupy a farm in north Indian Village. Good old people who bear the respect and good will of the whole neighborhood. Mr. Jackson has reached the ripe age of 85, his wife 82. All join in wishing father and mother Jackson a long pleasant evening of life, extending past the century line.
Discovery is so fun, isn't it? Keep digging! 

No comments:

Post a Comment