Monday, September 2, 2013

Worth it

Yesterday I attended a Labor Day Weekend dinner at my brother and sister-in-law's house. Also in attendance were my parents, my aunt, my grandfather and his wife.

As I wrote earlier this week, I'm currently scanning all of my great aunt Helen's slides and making high-quality digital copies. Helen was grandpa's sister and he is featured in many photos. I told him about my project and pulled up a few of the photos I was able to access via my phone (ones I had emailed my mother last week). I brought up on the screen a picture of him, age 19, standing next to his grandma on her 83rd birthday.

He was instantly taken aback by it. With a slight inhale and a youthful lilt to his voice, he said "Oh! That's my grandma!" He seemed genuinely delighted to see a photo of his dear grandmother by his side, a photo he hadn't seen in decades and probably didn't realize existed.

Seeing that look of shock and joy on his face made all the hours of tedious scanning, editing, and archiving totally worthwhile.

Happy Labor Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment