Saturday, November 16, 2013

Sisters

It's a gloomy, damp day today - warmer than normal for mid-November. I decided it was a good afternoon to spend in the dark research room at the Tama County Historical Society, combing through microfilm records of the Gladbrook Tama Northern newspaper.

As the clock neared closing time I remembered my blog. Specifically, I remembered my discussion of Henry Staker's journey back to Germany in 1910 and how I wanted to know what he did, with whom he visited, etc. Through the wonders of modern technology I pulled up my blog on my smartphone and refreshed myself on what I did know: He left in April 1910 and returned in July. I previously found newspaper accounts in the Tama Northern about his departure, but it spoke nothing of his return. It did, nowever, list him as "Henry Staker of Traer".

So why wasn't I looking in the Traer Star-Clipper?

With 15 minutes left before library closing, I pulled the film roll for 1910 and wheeled forward to April of that year. There, on page five of the April 15 issue, was the following item: Henry Stacker leaves the 30th of April for Germany to spend the summer visiting.

Okay, I knew that. I wasn't looking for that to give more details, but to verify that the Star-Clipper would have info about his comings and goings in general. Fast forward a few months to July. I knew from the ship manifest records that Henry returned to the US via New York July 2, 1910. What did the Traer Star-Clipper have to say about that?

Here's where it gets interesting.
The Traer Star-Clipper July 8, 1910, p. 8

Henry Staker, of Grant township, arrived home Tuesday from a trip of two months to Germany. He has sisters in that country, which he had not seen in forty years. After this trip he is better than satisfied with America. A young German named Carl Schmedtke came to America with him and will work in this locality. 
There it is...sort of. Sisters! Henry had sisters! Of course, this doesn't have their names or where they lived, but it's a huge step forward in understanding the family he left behind. This is the first time I've ever heard anything about siblings for Henry, so it gives direction for what to investigate further.

Next, I want to find out who Carl Schmedtke is. I would think if he was a nephew he'd be listed as such, but I won't rule it out. It seems odd, however, to usher a young German man to America without some kind of familial connection - if only being from the same hometown.

As always with family history, more answers drum up more questions. But isn't that half the fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment