Saturday, December 29, 2012

Meeting the past

The most common question people ask when they learn of my interest in family history is "When will 'it' be done?" The "it" they refer to is some undefined final product: a book, a website, a tangible document compiling everything I've unearthed in my years of researching, traveling, and digging.

The problem is the question has no answer. Family history is never "done." There are always new branches to add to a tree, whether through births and marriages today, or by uncovering another generation in some long forgotten family Bible.

Anyone coming to this blog hoping to find a version of "it" will be disappointed. I have never published a family history book, website, or anything else, nor do I plan to anytime soon. If I ever reach a point where I feel like research is "done" I'll consider it, but I just haven't reached that place yet. In some ways I hope I never do.

Instead, I hope this blog will be a place to share discoveries, to discuss tips and tricks I've discovered through my experience, and hopefully find some answers myself. I will post some family history on here. In fact, as soon as I'm done writing this inaugural post I'll be posting a series of as-of-yet unidentified family photos with the hope the expansive Internet will aid in putting names to faces. Mostly, however, this site is a forum. It's a conversation. It's a travelogue not through places and spaces, but through generations.

Family history is my passion. Maybe it can be yours too. 

5 comments:

  1. Hello, I am also researching my JACKSON ancestors. Did any of your JACKSON family live in or near Marengo Co., Alabama in the 1820's to 1850's? Or Washington Co., Alabama in the 1850's? After the 1850's, some of my JACKSON's migrated to Texas, some to Mississippi, and others to Arkansas. If any of this sounds like we might have a connection, please email me at jenicoe2001@yahoo.com. I am also on Facebook under Jenni Coe. Or if you know anyone else researching the JACKSON surname who might have a connection to my JaCKSON's, please have them contact me. I am happy to share whatever information on my JACKSON's that I have. Thank you so much, Jenni.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Warren G. Sabin is my 4th cousin 3x removed. I don't have much info about his wife's Jackson family, but I have other Jacksons that were located in Arkansas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the responses! Alan, tell me more about your connection to the Sabin family. The Jacksons in my tree aren't from the Arkansas area - they're from South Carolina and later Missouri.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother is a Sabin. Her grandfather is from the branch that went to Nova Scotia in the 1700s and changed the spelling to Sabean. My mother's grandfather changed the spelling back to the original Sabin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am descended from Delphina Dunham and Daniel William Sabin (brother to Warren G. Sabin). I am so glad that I have come upon your blog/forum and really appreciate the posted photos and discussion. I have learned about a branch of the tree that I did not know before. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete